You are hereWhat is MASC?
What is MASC?
MASC is an answer.
MASC is an answer. Wherever students feel discouraged by apathy,treated unfairly in their schools, want to know more to become greater leaders, MASC has offered a solution. Students are not only the leaders of the future but the leaders of today and defend as well as promote the interests, rights and well-being of all students in the state of Maryland.
As an organization we strive to accomplish three things:
We hold various conferences for students throughout the year around the state where we teach workshops written by students for students and participate in initiatives and service pertinent to youth.
We lobby and communicate with the Maryland General Assembly as well as various interest groups and the State Board of Education in support of student rights. We also nominate two students who are selected by the Governor to serve as a voting member on the State Board.
Student leaders around the state unite under MASC through similar networks on county levels which communicate to individual middle and high schools. Through this structure we are able to share ideas, and gather as a general assembly to take stances on issues.
What Does MASC Do?
The Mission of MASC
The mission of MASC is to foster a statewide environment for all secondary school students to express and exchange opinions and ideas,develop leadership skills, and promote student representation and involvement in all groups and organizations impacting the lives of students. To see that this is done efficiently and effectively, the Maryland Association of Student Councils hosts several events throughout the school year.
Goals and Objectives
- To facilitate effective communication among MASC elected officers,Executive Board, regions, member schools, and groups impacting students.
- To distribute a bi-monthly newsletter to provide information about MASC
- To maintain and update the MASC website
- To hold bi-monthly Executive Board meetings with representation from each of the regional organizations
- To provide member schools with the opportunity to give feedback on the policies and activities of MASC
- To serve as the liaison between the State Board of Education and the students of Maryland
- To provide student liaisons to statewide task forces and committees that address issues concerning students
- To create a statewide network of student leaders
- To expand the role of the Executive Board to serve as a resource to MASC member schools and regions
- To provide opportunities for student leaders to interact with their peers from across the state
- To provide opportunities for the exchange of ideas at each MASC activity
- To provide a positive image of Maryland’s students through ongoing communication with the media and the general public
- To model and share a code of honor for student leaders
- To create positive media connections
- To increase media coverage of MASC events and programs
- To provide leadership development opportunities as a component of each MASC conference and Executive Board meeting
- To provide substantive and informative workshops for delegates that empower students to enhance their own student councils and their surroundings
- To provide students with the opportunity to experience public service and civic education first hand
- To utilize and expand the formal partnership with the Maryland Leadership Workshops (MLW)
- To provide member schools with resources to enhance their own organizations.
- To encourage the improvement of member schools through an awards program
- To provide informative mailings to member schools addressing the issues and concerns of individual school student councils
Representation and Involvement
- To promote representation and involvement of all secondary schools and regions in MASC
- To have representation from each of the 20 regions at all MASC functions
- To identify new methods of improving services to regions and member schools
- To increase involvement in MASC from under represented regions
- To bolster committees
- To represent student viewpoints to policy makers
- To recommend and lobby for the placement of students on boards, commissions, and groups that impact students.
- To present the MASC position and the student viewpoint on issues affecting students to the State Board of Education, the State Legislature, and other decision making bodies
- To empower students to present their viewpoints to policy makers
- To provide member schools the opportunity to give input on the Constitution, MASC platform, and policies